
When Bob told me that he was going to New York City for a conference and asked if I would like to come along, the first thing I thought of was
Wicked. I have wanted to see it ever since I heard the music five years ago. Since that time, so many people have told me how spectacular it was. Luckily, we had enough frequent flyer miles for a free plane ticket. We were able to get tickets on the third row in the Orchestra seats--close enough to see the spit--and everyone was right: It was spectacular. When it was over and we were standing during a thunderous applause and ovation, I saw a lot of women crying. I had huge expectations going into the theater, and it did not disappoint.

The second show we saw was
A Tale of Two Cities, which had just barely opened on Broadway and we didn't know what to expect. It was fabulous! There were a lot of
Les Miserables alums in the cast, and every single actor was fabulous. I have to say, though, that James Barbour, who portrayed Sydney Carton, has one of the most beautiful voices I have ever heard! I am now a bona fide fan. I am so glad I saw this show and can't wait for the recording to be released.

After we had booked this show we got mixed reviews and I was worried that I would regret spending the money on it--even though we got greatly reduced tickets. Once again, we were thoroughly enchanted. When asked which of the shows was our favorites, we honestly had a hard time answering. All three of them are different and delightful in their own way.

It's always fun to see places that are so familiar because of books and movies. Here I am at Grand Central station at the beginning of miles of walking around the city.

New York City Library is an amazing place. It is a research library, as opposed to a circulating one, and was started by the Astor and the Lenox families, millionaires who donated their personal libraries and part of their fortunes in the early 1900s.

This is out of order, but this is the room where you access the computers to find the materials you want to study and "order" them. A page in one of the seven floors underground will then find the item and send it up a dumb waiter, or book elevator.

As you can see, the architecture of the New York Public Library is magnificent.

This is the exterior of the library. Perhaps you recognize it from Spiderman or Ghostbusters and other movies and TV shows.

This is the
The Strand, a bookstore like no other. There are books piled sky high everywhere. They advertise it as "18 miles of new, used, rare, and out-of-print books." It was fun to visit, but I couldn't find very many of the books on my list.

Merlin, who is a pizza connoisseur, recommended we walk across the Brooklyn Bridge and eat at Grimaldi's Pizzeria. It was a beautiful walk.

This is a very small restaurant and we were seated family style by a delightful Australian couple who were in New York to celebrate a birthday. The pizza was very good, with an unusual flavor. Definitely worth the trip.

This is Toys R Us in Times Square. It's like a mini-amusement park in the middle of the store.

We stayed at the Marriott Marquis--the nicest hotel I've ever stayed in, and I loved the whole experience, except for how costly everything was. They charged $20 to see a movie in your room and $19 for an egg and hash browns. Here are the elevators that remind me of the Jetsons.
1 comment:
Those pictures ar great!! It looks and sound like you guys had a blast.
Post a Comment